The hand held console has had over a dozen cases of the system burning out during recharging. The Japanese government agency has been taking a closer look at this as well as the National Institute of Technology and Evaluation.
The NITE is currently investigation 31 cases of overheating regarding the portable, 23 of which occurred in Japan. No injuries have been reported but in each case, the overheating damaged the PS Vita power cable connection slot.
According to a GameSpot article “Sony Computer Entertainment Japan reportedly blamed the incidents on liquids or other objects in the port while the systems were charging. Because the company doesn’t believe the hardware is faulty, it will not be issuing a recall, and those with damaged systems will need to pay for their own repairs.”
Well now, I find it hard to believe that in all 31 cases there was liquid in the port.
In confirmation to the damage however, a Sony representative had this to say:
“The cases were caused by partial short-circuit on the multi-use port of PS Vita and USB cable due to small particles or liquid attached to it. We believe this is not [a] product oriented issue. The short-circuit damaged the Multi-use port, resulting in being unable to boot the system."